Lutheran Mideast Development began as the Lutheran Orient Mission Societ. In 1910, the Protestant
International Conference for Foreign Missions met in Edinburgh, Scotland. A principal goal
of the conference was to assign neglected fields of service to delegates of the Christian
denominations in attendance. Lutheran representatives arrived from the United States and
Germany already championing the cause of the Kurds; they were rewarded with a commission
to develop a mission among them..
In response, the Lutherans
formed an independent organization that could serve both American and European Lutheran
Churches, working across state and synodical lines.
Within months, the organization commissioned two field workers to
send to Kurdistan and resolved to publish a journal, "The Kurdistan
Missionary." With its first issue
in October 1910, the Inter-Synodical Evangelical Lutheran Orient Mission Society was born.
Rev. L.O. Fossum, Field Director and Editor, 1910 - 1923
Click Here for the Full Story of Courage...Faith...War...Intrigue...